Monday, January 9, 2012

My Personal Webley

I got my pistol when I was 14 years old. My family at the time owned guns, and I had a .22 rifle and a .30-30, but I kind of liked pistols. The head of the household disagreed with allowing me to purchase a pistol (with my own money, I might add), but at a gun show in the Midwest I saw a Webley Single Shot .22 pistol. I'd never seen anything like it, and was fascinated. I was used to single shot .22 rifles, so a single shot .22 pistol appealed to me.

The decision was made, actually, ironically, by the sheer length of the thing. The quote, if I recall, was, "Well, it's as long as a rifle. How much trouble could you get into with it?" It was purchased in the early 1980s for $140.00 cash, a fair amount of money for the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment